So I landed in NRT (Narita Airport) which is about 1 hour from Tokyo on April 28th. This was a work trip but knowing me, I have to experience the sights, tastes and sounds of the city to rally call it a true travel experience.
Here are the highlights of my trip:
1) Bento box (also called Obento) shown in the picture is a classic Japanese lunch box with everything Japanese
2) Tokyo Tower which is walking distance fromt he Northwest Office located in Kamiyacho.
3) The Trains and Subways -- Really sophisticated. Not many people have cars
4) Tsukiji Fish Market: Have to go at 4 or 5 am when the auction for "tuna" begins. Japan has the worlds largest demand for seafood. Large 100 to 200 lb Tuna are brought in, every morning, graded and auctioned off to hoteliers and restauranteers.
5) Shibuya Crossing: It's like Times Square. Need I say more?
6) Pachinko: Vending Machines with Pinballs. they are everywhere.
7) Akasaka area near New Otani Hotel in tokyo (Walking distance); Lots of restaurants open late. Great for walking around and taking in the Japanese way of life.
Also shown above are pics of a Traditional Japanese Garden -- This one was inside the New Otani.
I picked up some Japanese!!
Arigato Gozaimasu (Thank you Very Much)
Sumimasen (Excuse me)
Itagakimas (Let's eat, Lets be thankful for the food we have in fron of us): Said before a meal.
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of loved ones, to earn the appreciation of honest critics. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a little bit better whether by a healthy child or a garden patch; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson